A QUICK AND EASY RECIPE TO BUILD A BETTER MOOD
Sometimes we forget how simple some recipes can be. How many of you have purchased hummus vs. making it at home? It happens to be a quick and easy recipe that can literally be whipped up in less than a minute. And, even better – for just a few pennies!
Simply add the basic ingredients plus any other add-ins depending on your taste. Put it all in a blender or small food processor and voila! This smooth, palate-pleasing concoction is one of the few natural, healthy foods that tastes creamy, but has no relationship whatsoever to dairy.
Hummus is generally considered a dip, but it also makes a great garnish, side dish, and spread. Try it on anything! Try making your own version of FAB roll ups using brown rice tortillas, hummus, lettuce, spinach, and your favorite veggies and/or turkey, chicken, tuna, etc.
And then — there’s the health benefits….
When paired with veggies, hummus helps to stabilize blood sugar, build a better immune system (helping you fight off bacterial and viral infections), and the nutritive benefits can lead to improved sleep and mood. Who wouldn’t want that?
As if that’s not enough, here are a few other amazing health benefits you’ll find in hummus: omega 3s, iron, B6, protein, fiber, calcium, and antioxidants.
- sautéed garlic to taste *
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can organic garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place garbanzo beans in a blender or food processor with approximately 1 teaspoon reserved liquid. Process until smooth. Mix in the garlic, sesame seeds, salt and pepper. Blend to desired consistency, increasing the amount of reserved garbanzo bean liquid as desired. Chill in the refrigerator until serving.
Optional ingredients: toasted sesame seeds, lemon juice, ground cumin, fresh lemon juice/lemon zest, fresh orange juice/orange zest, parsley, green onions, salt, pepper, cardamom, sliced almonds, pine nuts, fennel, apple cider vinegar, etc.
* Can use purchased, prepared garlic or make your own at home by heating fresh chopped garlic with olive oil in a saucepan for a few minutes until tender.